Saturday, September 22, 2012

Figs from the Kitchen Garden

Figs 2012
A few years ago my husband gave me two little fig trees. We planted them in one corner of the yard. They weren't terribly fruitful in that spot. This winter we had to move the trees due to a project and in haste we simply plopped them into the back of one of our raised beds.

Much to my shock, the little fig trees are going gangbusters this year! InJuly I planted a crop of beets under the trees and thenwatered the raised beddaily throughout the summer. Clearly the trees like their new home because this morning I harvestedthe plump ripe figs shown here.

Last nightI experimented with one fig by simply cutting it up, putting it on some flatbread, adding a little olive oil, cheese, proscuitto and homegrownarugula. I broiled the "pizza" for a few minutes andit was quite nice with a glass of wine. However, this morning I decided to harvest more figs and hunt around for inspiration. While doing so, I discovered California Figs, the consumer website produced by the California Fig Advisory Board. It is a fabulous website with lots of tips, recipes, history,and inspiration. This is now my figlicious resource for my crop of homegrown figs! Fig jam, chutney, salads, appetizers plus tips for storing and freezing...It's all there!

Photo by Melissa A. Trainer

---Melissa A. Trainer


Fig Garden Village - Center Information Fig Garden Village is Fresnos Premier Lifestyle Shopping Center. Located at Palm and Shaw Avenues, Fresno, California 93704. Stores includes Starbucks, Westamerica ... Braised Quail with Figs Food Garden Kitchen Last night we cooked 4 more quail my father had given us. In addition to the quail, he handed me a recipe from Hugh Acheson, and mentioned a few ... Figs - Orchard House Books 'Agroforestry News' July 2004 " .... contains all you need to know to grow your own figs." 'Kitchen Garden' magazine, August 2004 Figs Gardening Tips Garden Guides Figs. Learn about Figs on GardenGuides.com. Info and videos including: How to Grow ... first; shades what might otherwise be a flowing spontaneous question about a garden ... This Week in the Garden Kitchen: Ginger Lemon Fig Preserves ... Never in my life did I imagine I would have not one but three fig trees growing in my backyard. In Italy figs are served with prosciutto, baked into cakes, and Find Garden Remedies in the Kitchen : Outdoors : Home & Garden ... Find Garden Remedies in the Kitchen. Learn how to combat garden pests with common items from ... Growing Figs in the Home Garden The Fig Test Kitchen: About Mother ... am overjoyed to be working with my beautiful daughter, Gabrielle, on The Fig Test Kitchen. ... birthday in the shape of the wide-rimmed hat he used to wear when in the garden ... Brandied Figs - Gastronomic Gardener Grow it. Cook it. Preserve it. What I did find were flats of fresh figs. Their season seems quite short and ... Annie's Kitchen Garden; Cowgirls Country Life; from the Bartolini kitchens; Hunter Angler ... The Fig Garden Kayakoy - Gary C. Martin CGI The Fig Garden, Kaya valley, cottages are located in the south west of Turkey with ... Kitchen: Gas hob, microwave, fridge, washing machine, toaster and kettle ... Home Garden Figs CAES Publications UGA Home Garden Figs. G.W. Krewer, Extension Horticulturist Floyd Hendrix, Plant Pathologist. Site and Soil Requirements; Purchasing Plants or Propagating Your Own

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...