Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A King Size Burrito Goes Back to...High School!

Don pancho tortilla
Aha! With all this back to school lunch talk, I always chuckle because I've been packing school lunches for about 13 years now.I pack multiple lunches each day,and one year I even calculated how many lunches I've packed. I don't remember the exact number, but it was pretty staggering.

I'm now packing lunch for an athletic high school boy. Last week, I rose early and prepared to make a hefty sandwich, but Isoon gasped because I discovered that a little gnome had eaten the last of the cold cuts during the night!! I knew I needed a rapid fire backup plan. Scrambling around well before dawn that morning, I decided to wing it and pack a burrito.

Luckily, I had recentlypurchased some massiveDon Pancho 14-inch tortillasat Cash & Carry here in Seattle. So,I decided to load one up with some fixings from the prior night's burritos--taco meat, black beans, white rice, fresh cilantro, a dollop of salsa, sour cream, and some shredded cheddar. Because theDon Pancho tortillasare so HUGE, I was able to pack a lot of punch into the "package" and was amazed at how well the whole thing wrapped up. There were no loose ends. The tidy but bigburrito fit nicely into a Lock and Lock container.

On the way to school, I told my son to use the microwave that he has access to in the lunch room. My directions were pretty bare bones...just heat it up for a few seconds and be careful not to get it too hot. Much to my delight, he listened to me and heated that big bad burrito up in the appliance. Will told me that the burrito was a huge hit and that he would happily eat that daily. He also reported that he thought the rice and beans carried him through cross country practice later that day.

So, if you are stumped on what to feed an athletic teenage boy for lunch,forget the school lunch and those processed saltyLunchables andseriously considerputting beans, rice, a little meat, some cheese, and a king-size tortillain the bag!

--Melissa A. Trainer


back to school items - Walmart.com Shop for back to school items at Walmart.com and save. Buy back to school items ... Just My Size (1) K'Nex (4) KID-DING (2) ... King Canopy (1) Kleenex (1) Kodak (5) ... Taco Burrito King - Norwood Park - Chicago, IL During my sophomore/junior year of high school days ... This used to be my favorite back in the day, but I ... I got the chicken burrito king size with guacomole and it was ... Big Burrito Restaurant group's impact on the local dining scene ... ... for president Pa. voter ID opponents appeal to high ... Tough talk: The U.N. secretary-general goes hard on ... Chain stores see 6 percent rise in back-to-school sales for ... Burrito King Sunset - Echo Park - Los Angeles, CA ... goddammit who goes out on thursday nights'. So I settle for Burrito King ... plan on going back even if I'm in the area. Sorry Burrito King! ... While Burrito King may not ... Christ the King Catholic School - Milwaukie, Oregon - OR - School ... Christ the King Catholic School located in Milwaukie ... Although it is a small school with small class size, there is a ... than prepared the children to go to High School. Ex-NBA star returns to inner city, brings hoop dreams - CNN.com Yet he came back home to Memphis to coach middle school kids. ... Cove projects slept on his first king-size ... Misery in Louisiana after Isaac goes In Texas, High School Football Is King - ABC News In Texas, High School Football Is King ... in Texas is divided into divisions by the size of the schools ... Hall of Fame has a division dedicated to high school ... back to school bedding - Walmart.com Search by entering a ZIP code, or your city and state. Show more options. Find a Store About High School Reunions eHow.com The actual size of the high school reunion will be dramatically ... It's always nice going back to high school and remember all ... is different from homecoming queen or king ... Back to High School for Ashley Tisdale as she resurrects her inner ... Back to High School for Ashley Tisdale as she resurrects her inner ... Prince Harry goes for gold as he challenges Olympic ... 'It's gold waiting to be picked up': Stephen King is ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...