Sunday, September 30, 2012

Crafting Fig and Apple Jam at Home

Fig apple jam
I've been on a fig and apple kick this week. Last weekend I wrote about my little productive fig tree and yesterday I rambled on about my apple harvest. Last night, I decided to craft a fig and apple jam from scratch.

I love fig jam and cheese, but I don't always like the price of those little jars of fig preserves. When I was poking around the California Fig Advisory Board's website last week, I noticed that there were lots of recipes for dried figs. I had never used dried figs but I suspected that their recipe for Fig-Apple Jam would result in a delicious jam similar to the one I have been buying. Alas, my instincts were correct because I made that recipe last night and the results are excellent!

The recipe is pretty simple and features dried figs, apples, the zest and juice from an orange and lemon and lots of sugar. The procedure requires snipping the stems off the dried figs, pulsing the figs and apples in the food processor, and then basically simmering the sweetmixture for about 40 minutes.

I was quite impressed with the end result and when I dolloped some of the warm jam on a cracker with a little blue cheese I knew I had a slam dunk keeper of a recipe. I think it would make a great addition to a holiday cheese basket. And, one of the big bonuses to the recipe is that dried figs are available yearround, so you can crank out this recipe on the colder darker drearier days of winter!

So, if you like fig, cheese, apples, jam, give this one a shot!

Photo by Melissa A. Trainer

--Melissa A. Trainer


National Center for Home Food Preservation How Do I? Jam and Jelly ...Jam and Jelly Making Jams and Jellies. General Information ... Apple Preserves with powdered pectin; Apricot Jam ... Fig Jam with liquid pectin; Fig Jam without added pectin Making and Canning Fig and Apple Jam without Pectin Fig and Apple Jam Recipe and how to can homemade fig and apple jam. Fig Apple Jam Recipes ifood.tv Enjoy special collection of trusted fig apple jam ... fruit salad that I often prepare at home. Try the Apple Fig ... Blackberry And Apple Jam. MAKING 1. In a preserving pan ... Fig Jam Texas Jelly Making Home; Texas Jelly Maker (About) Rationale ... of a drought, this is a busy time for jam and jelly making. The figs ... Cinnamon Apple Jelly and Applesauce; Texas ... How to Make Fig Preserves (Fig Jam) - Easily! With Step-by-step ... Fig Jam-making Directions. This example shows you how to ... 3 cups fruit juice (grape, peach, apple or mixed) ... and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making ... How to Make Fig Jam eHow.com More eHow. home; mom; style; food; tech; money; health ... Making fig jam is one simple solution to this predicament. ... How do I Make Cherry Apple Jam? eHow Food, Rachael Ray ... Slow Cooker Apple, Pear, and Fig Jam amyBITES Home; About; Blogroll ... Slow Cooker Apple, Pear, and Fig Jam Makes approximately 16 oz.. 3 apples How to Make Jam - Easily! With Step-by-step Photos, Recipe ... Apple butter; Applesauce; Blueberry Jam; Fig Jam, Fig-strawberry jam, ... Jam-making Directions. This example shows you how ... all here, delivered direct to your home ... Homemade Fig Jam kiss my spatula food + photography Without warning, our once demure, innocent, sweet fig tree who quietly welcomes us home everyday ... I love making fig jam with loads of cinnamon. It tastes so good! I make a ... Making and Canning Fig Jam without Pectin Home Canning Jams and ... Video 1, Making Jam & Infusing Fruit; Video 2, Home Canning Fruit and Pie Filling ... You are here: Home Making and Canning Fig Jam without Pectin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...