Friday, September 7, 2012

Bacon Makes Everything Taste Better, The Oatmeal Edition

IMG_1830
When I heard the news that IHOP was introducing, with much fanfare, a new lineup of oatmeal to its menu, I thought surely the culinary team had heard about my new preparation of that classic hot cereal.

I'm sure I'm not the first to add some bacon bits to my morning bowl of mush, but I've never come across it on any menus in our bacon-obsessed nation. My spontaneous combo was kind of a tribute to my late grandfather, who started every day with hot cereal, and then had one piece of bacon and one egg for his second breakfast, about 10. Papa was no food-as-fuel kind of eater. A very active guy until he passed away at age 97, he enjoyed his meals immensely, even if he didn't have an adventurous palate.

Especially during the cold weather months, oatmeal is a go-to choice for breakfast, but I'm always hungry a few hours later. So, I thought, why not combine elements of the first and second breakfasts? To my bowl of oatmeal, I added pecans, maple syrup and, yes, a half a piece of bacon. So, it was still plenty healthy.

It worked! That mashup of sweet and savory, whole grains and a smidge of something crispy and satisfying, got me through to lunch.

Was a little bit surprised that it's not offered on IHOP's new lineup. It really should be.

-- Leslie Kelly


Dear Sriracha Rooster Sauce - The Oatmeal The Oatmeal. Comics; Book; Quizzes; Blog; Shop; Follow: ... A tribute to rooster sauce. Chocolate-covered bacon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Streaky bacon is used to make chocolate-covered bacon ... Bacon and Hams; The BLT Cookbook; Don't Forget the Bacon! Everything Tastes Better with Bacon Amazon.com: BBQ Makes Everything Better (9781439168301): Jason Day ... BBQ Makes Everything Better [Jason Day,Aaron ... and tender vegetables, everything tastes better ... grill are not limited to bacon alone. In BBQ MAKES EVERYTHING BETTER ... Bacon Makes It Better - The Duo Dishes Listen to NPRs Weekend Edition on Sunday, July 5 for the official ... One time I had dinner with a vegan, and he even said bacon makes everything taste better. Bacon Swiss Meat Loaf Recipe Taste of Home Recipes Bacon Swiss Meat Loaf Recipe photo by Taste of Home ... Better Baked Beans 'n' Ham ... think I'll substitute oatmeal for the bread crumbs. We love the taste ... The Oatmeal Shop - Posters, Prints, Coffee Mugs, and More 6 Reasons Bacon is Better than True Love - Signed Print$30.00 ... How Everything Goes to Hell During a Zombie Apocalypse ... The Oatmeal ships US and internationally: Shipping ... Is there anything bacon DOESN'T go with? - General Topics - Chowhound ... my favourite comfort food right now is cream of oat or oatmeal with bacon ... is just a fun thread that speculates about how bacon makes pretty nearly everything taste better. Proving once again that bacon really does make everything better ... They just taste great ... BTW, I used to make oatmeal cookies with chopped apple and bacon in ... once again that bacon really does make everything better Eli ... Everything Tastes Better with Bacon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Everything Tastes Better with Bacon was published in English in paperback format by Chronicle Books in 2002. A subsequent edition in paperback was published in French in ... How do you make a good bowl of oatmeal??? - CookingLight.com Community How do you make a good bowl of oatmeal ... supposed to taste ... cook your oatmeal? I'd love to know how to make it creamy like the restaurant did... or just plain better ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...