Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Mega Dose of Veggies from Crunchy Cabbage Soup!

Cabbage glut 2012
I definitely have a cabbage glut right now. Back in late July or early August, I planted about ten Savoy cabbage plants.They were itty bitty plants back then. Now,thanks to Seattle's fabulous Indian summer, I have some massive cabbages in my kitchen. To tackle the glut right away, Iopted to crank out a quick cabbage soup today.

Inspired by the Cabbage Soup Diet, I decided to keep the recipe fat free and simple. No butter. No cream. Just lots of vegetables. To make the soup, I simply chopped one half of a head of cabbage very coarsely. I included some of the dark outer leaves. All of the cabbage went into a soup pot, and I thenadded water to cover. I added one small can of diced organictomatoes, chopped carrots, a small bit of sliced onion, and a blob of Better than Bouillon chicken broth base. I simmered the mixture for maybe five minutes and then decided to serve the soup while the veggies were still looking ALIVE!

Cabbage soup
On a side note, I hate cabbage soup that cooks the cabbage to the point well beyond death. I've had a few of those in my life. They are horrible! (Truly, if you want to turn kids off to cabbage for life, just serve an overcooked cabbage concoction once or twice and yourjob will bedone for decades!)

I don't know how many servings of veggies I actually consumed when I ate my warm and comforting cabbage soup this afternoon,but I am confident that I more than fulfilled my Five A Day requirement. Even though the soup was ridiculously quick and simple to make, it was remarkably good.

What would you do with a cabbage glut? Cabbage rolls? Cabbage soup? Slaw? Sauerkraut? Stir fry? Root cellar storage? I still have about eight heads in the garden...

Photo by Melissa A. Trainer

--Melissa A. Trainer


Roasted Vegetables - RoastedVegetables.org Vegetables are roasted using no other ingredient but olive oil. While making the vegetables like pepper or cabbage crunchy, you will totally enjoy your meal. Vegetables That Cause Bloating & Gas eHow.com Vegetables That Cause Bloating & Gas. Bloating is typically caused by air trapped in ... Beans, broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots, asparagus, onions, cabbage, spinach ... Can You Lose 30 Pounds in 30 Days with the Cabbage Soup Diet ... ... days and if eating a bottomless bowl of cabbage soup ... pot with cooking spray and saut all vegetables except cabbage ... of Ionix Supreme in the morning for a mega dose of ... Crunchy Cod Recipes by: SKYVIEWTX Get your daily dose of omega-3 fatty ... by: LEEVER southwest chicken and black bean soup crunchy ... veggies occasion marie's stuffed cabbage with ... Lose 30 lbs in 30 Days-Delicious Isagenix vs Cabbage Soup Diet! Day 2: Cabbage soup, all the low-calorie vegetables you want (except beans, peas, or corn), and a ... 1 Drink two ounces of Ionix Supreme in the morning for a mega dose ... Cabbage - HealthAliciousNess . com Taste: Cabbage has an earthy taste and crunchy texture when raw. ... "Mega-dose vitamin C in treatment of the ... Percent of Americans Eat Their Fruits and Vegetables? Cabbage Soup Diet: Diet Review - Healthy Weight Forum: Maintaining ... San Choy Bow Chicken and Vegetable Slice Crunchy Tuna Bake ... Day 3: Cabbage soup, plus other fruits and vegetables. Day 4: Cabbage soup, plus up to 8 bananas and ... Ideas for Home Canning Cabbage eHow.com Crunchy and leafy, cabbage is a healthy vegetable high in vitamins A and C and a serving also packs a ... serving, canned sauerkraut is a convenient way to get a dose ... All About Cabbage - How To Cooking Tips - RecipeTips.com Soup Recipes; More Recipe Collections... All Recipe Collections; Search Recipes ... Cabbage: A vegetable consisting of layers of thick leaves that grow around each other from the ... khana Pina: Vegetable Manchow soup : Indo-Chinese cuisine They lend the crunchy , bland taste to match with ... And for your daily dose of proteins, you could ... We would like to feature your vegetable soup recipe on our ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...